Sunday, February 1, 2015

A Little Tone on Tone Lidded Box





Hi again!

This time I wanted to do something that wasn't a card, and I love these little boxes!  They are perfect for so many things, and would be ideal for weddings.  They would be great to put treats for guests in, keeping the colour theme the bride has chosen.

For this little project you need two pieces of card stock.  I chose Soft Sky from Stampin' Up!® for the lid, and an 80 lb Neenah Solar White for the box itself.  Because this is tone on tone, I used Soft Sky ink, also from Stampin' Up!.


Soft Sky is such a pretty blue especially when used on the matching paper.  I used a stamp from the set Delight in Life  and just stamped randomly over both pieces of card stock. I didn't want the images to appears in a pattern, so I just plopped my stamp wherever, making sure to leave a consistent amount of white space between images.  This is a retired stamp set, but I love the floral images!


Next, using a scoreboard, I scored the smaller blue card stock at 1" on all four sides, and the larger white piece at 2", again on all four sides.  This creates the top, bottom and sides for your box.  I went over each fold with a bone folder ensuring a nice, crisp fold.

Once that was done, each corner piece needed to be cut to create the folded edges, and this is where it gets a little tricky to show this in pictures.




At each corner, I cut a slit along the scored line that ended at the perpendicular score line.  Then to create corners that aren't too bulky, those pieces were "whittled" by creating notches from the inner portion of the corner piece that met up with that perpendicular score line.  Along the outer edge, another cut was made, again from the inner side, meeting up with the edge of the paper.  The paper was then rotated to the next corner, and the process was repeated until all four corners were cut down.


This process was then repeated on the white box portion.  Additionally, these "tabs" were then trimmed to create shorter pieces which would fit nicely when folded and adhered.



Now on each piece, a good strong adhesive needed to be applied.  I laid down two strips of Scotch double sided tape.  One along the bottom, and one along one edge.  When the box is folded, the tape adheres the side together from the inside, so none of the tape is visible from the outside.



Finally, each side could be tucked and taped.  In the following picture, the "tab" appears on the outside, but it needed to be tucked inside so that the outside of the lip had nice straight sides with none of the cut pieces visible from the outside.




And, voila!  With both the box and the lid done, it was time to put the finishing touches on this little gem.



I chose a ribbon in different but complimentary colour.  I like the contrast it gives, but you could choose any colour.  Stampin' Up! sells ribbon that matches their inks paper.



I wanted to add a tag, but I wanted to keep the softness of the colours.  I punched a scalloped circle from the Soft Sky paper, and white circle from the Neenah card stock, and adhered them together.  I used Stampin' Up! Basic Pearl Jewels on tag as well to give it a little character.


These are fabulous little embellishments.  I chose a matching Copic marker colour and simply coloured the pearl so it matched nicely.



And there you have it!  Pretty little boxes that are quick and easy to make and can be used for any number of things.  With so many great papers out there, you can use any colour colour combination or pattern to create boxes with completely different looks and feel.

Thanks for reading!  If you're interesting in purchasing the supplies I used to make this box, be sure to visit my Stampin' Up! webpage where you can browse the catalogue and submit your order.  It will be delivered right to your door or mailbox!

See you soon!

Beth
_____________________________________________

Where can you find me?

My Stampin' Up!® Website
Facebook

Materials I Used...


Stampin' Up Sky Blue Card Stock
Stampin' Up Sky Blue Ink Pad
Simon Says Stamp - Neenah Solar White 110 lb Card Stock
Tombo Mono Multi Glue
Scotch Tape Runner
Fiskars SureCut Paper Trimmer
Martha Stewart Score Board

No comments:

Post a Comment