Monday, March 16, 2015

A Blended Ink Thank You!

This card is going to be entered in the Lawnscaping Challenge!  If you're interested in having a look at all the great work that gets posted over there, follow the link!
________________________________________________________________________________


With spring hopefully just around the corner, I'm finding myself drawn to more earthy, warm colours.  So when I was brainstorming my next post and video, I automatically reached for browns, greens, and yellows (with a little blue thrown in for good measure).

One of the first techniques I tackled way back when, was blending distress inks.  I've always been drawn to colours and different shades, values and saturation levels of colours, and putting colours together to create a feeling or mood.

Years ago I worked as a graphic artist doing magazine advertising, and I think it was the freedom in use of colour that drew me to the profession.  Unfortunately, all the work was done on computer and I really missed the "getting my hands dirty" part.

For various reasons I left the profession and moved onto other things, but the things I learned have always stuck with me and have been really quite valuable in my later endeavours!

Ok... Enough story-telling.  Let's get back to the card.

As I said, I wanted some warm colours, and I knew I wanted to incorporate ink blending.  I love the versatility of distress ink, so I rummaged through my stuff and and idea was born.




I used four colours of Ranger Distress Ink and ink blending tools (also by Ranger).  The pattern was achieved by taking a stamp, inking it with Versamark and then loading water to the stamp.  I shook off the excess water so I didn't flood the card, and let the magic happen.  I used a paintbrush dipped in water, and flicked it over the card to create the water spots.  It's such an easy process with dramatic and always unique results.


The sentiment, a very simple "thank you", was heat embossed on a small piece of Early Espresso card stock by Stampin' Up!.  I used champagne coloured embossing powder.  It's such a gorgeous colour and complimented the colours of the card perfectly.


As always, I can't leave the inside naked, so I adhered a piece of Neenah Solar White 80 lb card stock using an ATG gun, and stamped the same flourish once in Stampin' Up! Chocolate Chip ink.  I stamped it off twice on scrap paper so that the brown of the ink was a little more muted. 



I have to say, I love the way this card turned out.  From the colours, the card stock, the distressed focal image - everything just came out exactly as I'd imagined it!

Check out the video to see it all come together:



See you next time!
Beth

Card - Sizes

Finished card size: 4-1/4" x 5-1/2"
Card Base:  4.25" x 11", scored and folded at 5-1/2"
Focal Image: 3" x 4-1/4"
Early Espresso layer: 3-1/8" x 4-5/16"
Mossy Meadow layer: 3-1/4" x 4-9/16"

Some of What I Used...

Find me on...

My Stamping' Up!® Website
YouTube

7 comments:

  1. Lovely card. The colors chosen look great together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal! I'm kind of partial to them. :)

      Delete
  2. I love techniques too- love this fun card and your waterstamping on the distress inks turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card!! Beautiful colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card! I really love the bright and vibrant colors in the background! Thanks so much for playing the Lawnscaping Challenge!
    -Samantha

    ReplyDelete